You want to sell your San Antonio house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in San Antonio“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your San Antonio house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell.
If you are not tidy, consider finding somewhere else to live while you show your house. Maybe you can talk your neatest friend into trading houses with you? Seriously, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space. Nothing stops people from buying faster than feeling like your home is not clean.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a light neutral will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while hints of deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep (but be careful, dark colors will also make rooms feel small).
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and very neat lines – it makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me?
Look it up. And don’t neglect the outside and just do the inside, or anything else that’s unbalanced.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Yeah, it might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks on a dishwasher that someone else might just pull out and replace again. But really, quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the opportunity to negotiate with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the purchaser and transparency is key.
Inspections have a way of uncovering those little details you were hoping the seller would over-look.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money. Kitchens and master bathrooms tend to have the highest rate of return. Remember your curb appeal, first impressions go a long way as your prospective buyer walks up to your home
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, be up-front about your intentions.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in San Antonio – just to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the San Antonio area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your San Antonio Texas House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you have a flexible time-line that allows for the possibility of multiple showings, then you’ll be better off financially to make improvements and then list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND your time frame is not very flexible, then you may be a perfect fit for our local San Antonio house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you. A cash offer does not work for everyone and that’s ok. The first step is about just having a conversation.
If a cash offer is what you decide is in your best interest, we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in San Antonio“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near San Antonio, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.